Discussion Thread: BBQ Brethren "Soul Food" Throwdown (Non-Quality, Possibly Delinquent Discussion *BE WARNED*)

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Our new TD category is...

"Soul Food"

Soul_Food_Front.jpg

Fro optional...

As chosen by Boogiesnap for his winning dish in the "Fusion" Throwdown!

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

boogiesnap said:
how's it going? let's go with SOUL FOOD!

thanks for everything!
What?:twitch: No special rules?:confused:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 4/19 through Sunday 4/28.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 4/29.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

This thread is for all general discussion of the category, entries, be that discussion on topic or wackadoodled to any various degree. Woodpile rules will be enforced in this thread in regards to moderation in this thread.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

I just googled Soul-food and came up with early African/American food.
That correct?

Sort of, it can mean a few different things. Largely, it now means comfort food that is influenced by the Black Foodways and Southern United States Foodways. Think hearty foods, the kind laborers would find filling and sustaining.

Other terms to search...braised collards, braised mustard greens, braised greens, black eye peas, burgoo, gumbo, fried chicken, chitlins, smothered pork chops, smothered chicken, smothered okra, ah heck, anything covered with gravy...biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, candied sweet potatoes or candied yams, and of course, BBQ.

In many soul food places, they have a way of ordering called 'meat and three' or 'meat and two', which means meat and three sides, or meat and two sides. Often, soul food is served out of restaurants that have the food ready to go, it is the kind of food you can have over low heat for a long time, so workers can get in, eat and go. A typical 'meat and three' would be smothered pork chop, mac-n-cheese, greens and carrots.

Fried CHICKEN!!!.... No RULES!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DUy140agKM"]I Love My Chicken - YouTube[/ame]

It would appear to me, that one would need to have a soul in order to cook something which could be entered in this TD.

I do believe that stipulation DQ's about 90% of the regular participants. You souless bastidges!

Well, this just throws me way off. I thought we had to COOK a soul. Spent the last hour trying to figure out how the hell to catch one, since I don't think my butcher carries them this time of year...

Mr Google Says:
"Soul food is basic, down-home cooking with its roots in the rural South. The principle staples of soul food cooking are beans, greens, cornmeal (used in cornbread, hush puppies, johnnycakes, and as a coating for fried fish), and pork. Pork has an almost limitless number of uses in soul food. Many parts of the pig are used, like pigs’ feet, ham hocks, pig ears, hog jowl, and chitlins. Pork fat is used for frying and as an ingredient in slowly-cooked greens. Sweet, cold drinks are always a favorite.

“Soul” or “Southern?”

To a lot of people, all that just sounds like a description of Southern food. The distinctions between soul and Southern are hard to make. In his 1969 Soul Food Cookbook, Bob Jeffries summed it up thusly: “While all soul food is southern food, not all southern food is ‘soul.’ Soul food cooking is an example of how really good southern Negro cooks cooked with what they had available to them.”

Soul food has its roots in slavery, when African Americans had to make do with whatever food was available to them. For the next hundred years after the abolition of slavery, most African Americans lived in poverty, so recipes continued to make use of cheaper ingredients. Of course, this isn’t entirely a black/white issue. Historically, there hasn’t been much of a difference between the foods eaten by poor black Southerners and poor white Southerners. John T. Edge, director of the Southern Foodways Alliance, once wrote: “The differences between the foods of Black and White Southerners are subtle. More capsicum pepper heat, a heavier hand with salt and pepper and a greater use of offal meat are comparative characteristics of Soul versus Country Cooking.”

IMO this is a fair assessment of what Soul Food is.

Roscoe's!

Language NSFW...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XstgfkXrqUs"]Jackie Brown - Get in the trunk scene - YouTube[/ame]

:becky:

John T. Edge certainly is the expert when it comes to writing down what some folks just seem to know, but, never put into words.

Would raccoon be on the menu? I've got a whole family of them in the backyard and a box of subsonic .22 rounds.

Last edited:
Back