Discussion Thread -> "BBQ Meat Breakfast" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Our new TD category is...

"BBQ Meat Breakfast
!"

plate1_zpsfeda534f.jpg

This was Redhot's winning entry in the 2013 "Breakfast" Throwdown. :thumb:

As chosen by Buzz53 for winning the "Tex-Mex and/or Mex-Mex!" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

buzz53 said:
Thanks , new here so bear with me. First as for the TD maybe a breakfast theme/ obviously with bbq meat. Thanks Moose for what you do, this place is a real hoot.

Gosh, thanks, Buzz! :icon_blush:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 5/2 through Sunday 5/11.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 5/12

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Please accept this Official Entry into the "BBQ Meat Breakfast" TD.

This is my official entry titled, "Pulled Pork with Spicy Apple Chutney with Gluten Free Raisin French Toast."

I like to lower the salt content in BBQ sauce by cutting it 1:1 with apple sauce when I serve pulled pork at home. Why not take that success one step further and make a chutney of sorts with apples for a BBQ meat breakfast! This is how I got from the idea stage to a really delicious breakfast, one that is easy to batch up for those mornings when special company stays overnight. I tasted to figure out which ingredients to use and how much of them.

First I smoked a New York cut pork shoulder in Dragona at 250F with a chunk of apple wood. I used my own 'go to' pork rub made from 4:2:2:1 of Jamaican All Purpose Seasoning with Allspice:ginger:eek:nion:garlic -- all in granulated/powdered form. Sunday night it looked like this

and Monday morning it looked like this. :becky:

The only ingredient I bought for this cook was one Granny Smith apple, all of the other ingredients are regulars in our house. The spices I used were vanilla, cardamom, nutmeg, mace, cinnamon, cloves, allspice and ginger (not shown). I was looking to make a harmony of spice which turned out tasty enough but I think creating a solo spice artist would have been even better. Next time I'm going to give the solo to cloves and see how it delivers flavour standing in front of the rest.

A balsamic vinegar reduction/glaze to cut richness from frying in butter and maple syrop to bring out the sweetness in the apples and raisins (not shown).

Started off with shallots and Spanish garlic in CI with butter. Spanish garlic is sweet and mild so it lends itself to fruit and salads.

With raisins, diced apples and fresh ground black pepper added.

Now for the French Toast. One of our newer members, Bubbles, shared a great idea in the Unofficial Penalty Box about making bread pudding with Bailey's Irish Cream. I thought it was brilliant! I searched the internet and found several great recipes. Why not put some in my egg and cream mixture for French toast! Yippee! I didn't have Bailey's, rather an Irish Cream made with wine, but since I'm using raisins and the GF bread has grape skin flour in it you bet a wine fortified Irish Cream is exactly what is called for!

Once I fried the French toast in butter I held them on a Silpat in the oven at 200F. Time for the pork.

This is Carol's BBQ meat breakfast with maple syrop drizzled on her French Toast.

This is my plate with sriracha and maple syrop drizzles.

Please use the photo below for voting.

That was an excellent breakfast. It was very rich so it's suitable for special occasions and party guests that stayed and have hangovers.

Thanks for looking! :-D

bbq meat breakfast

The Meal--Porkloin chop BI, beef back ribs, veggie omelette, fried taters with bell pepper and onions. The Cook---Season meats and taters for the smoker, smoke several hrs., let rest, cut up veggies and fry. Prepare omelette, slice up taters and fry in bacon fat with onions and bell peppers. Enjoy.

Last edited:
BBQ meat breakfast, KILL Method

Hi Folks

I like to introduce You to the KILL BBQ Meat Breakfast.

Nothing daungerous, just I would like to Keep It Laid & Light (method) !

Ok. Let's start with basic and healthy ingredients

14134450856_95af9395ae_c.jpg
[/url]

14157616545_02498d5b71_c.jpg
[/url]

14134415456_729e68433b_c.jpg
[/url]

Maybe You are thinking .... where is it the meat ???? Here it is !

13970943838_6bdbcdc6ea_c.jpg
[/url]

I lit the 26 OTG with some briqs and let it run up to 400 ish (lid T). Then I put in tomatoes, bacon and egg.

14154715052_db089979be_c.jpg
[/url]

Not that egg, those ones

13970841278_33994bc911_c.jpg
[/url]

Any way this egg was still going on ...

13970817740_ced1d1a9ff_c.jpg
[/url]

Finally everything was cooked and ready to plate for my KILL BBQ Meat Breakfast .
Please consider this pic as my entry to this throwdown

14154103281_4cdf2811a3_c.jpg
[/url]

Maybe your are thinking about that egg ..... That's for my wife's KILL BBQ Meat Breakfast

14154097051_dd5b39b719_c.jpg
[/url]

Full cooking session at [ame]http://youtu.be/RN4Gwc_jxmk[/ame]

Thanks for considering.
Enrico

Sonoran Style Breakfast Enchilada

Please accept this as my entry into the "BBQ Meat Breakfast" Throwdown.

My wife and I’s favorite Mexican restaurant serves what they call a Sonoran Style Enchilada that comes with 2 eggs. I’ve tried to recreate this dish as shown below. (And yes I know these aren’t authentic Sonoran Style Enchiladas) I used some Pulled Pork I made last weekend. Here are a couple of pics of that.

Here are the plated shots with some Creama Fresca, another egg topping the enchilada, Spanish rice and frijoles.

Please use the picture below as my polling pic.

Muy Bueno! :mrgreen:

The entire cook thread can be seen here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=188510

Enrico, that was great! We had a video TD to capture the sound of sizzle last year, you would have loved it. Looks like a great, healthy breakfast, and what a good idea to smoke eggs in the shell. How does it taste with smoke added? Love the breakfast tomatoes they look delicious, too.

Enrico, that was great! We had a video TD to capture the sound of sizzle last year, you would have loved it. Looks like a great, healthy breakfast, and what a good idea to smoke eggs in the shell. How does it taste with smoke added? Love the breakfast tomatoes they look delicious, too.

Thanks for nice words!
About egg a la coque I really couldn't taste any smoky flavor! It was just a try!

Back